|Trinity Anglican Church, West Perth (Mitchell), Ontario|
110 St. Andrew Street, Mitchell Ontario
The last Sunday worship service at Trinity was held 24 June 2012. A Service of Deconsecration with The Rt. Rev. Bob Bennett presiding was held 9 Sept. 2012.
Declining membership meant the church could not sustain itself and the decision to disestablish was made at the January 2012 Vestry meeting.
There has been an Anglican presence in West Perth, formerly known as Mitchell, since 1858 when the first church was built just off Highway 23 South. Today the Anglican Cemetery occupies this location. In 1897 a new church building was erected at the corner of St. Andrew and Quebec streets; the dream of a small but determined group of parishioners.
This dream gave way to a nightmare in March of 1939 when the Church burned to the ground. According to the newspapers of the day, the future of the Anglican Church in Mitchell was uncertain due to the size of the congregation.
Despite the small size of its congregation, Trinity was very active in Mitchell over the years…taking its turn hosting The Legion Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday services, World Day of Prayer and Community Coffee hours. It hosted the Town's only Pancake Supper for years and in Lent put on a popular lunch speakers' series in the community. Trinity also did its fair share of outreach ministry in the community ... especially in supporting children and youth in Mitchell.
In the 1960's Trinity shared a Rector with Trinity, Sebringville. In 1983 Trinity became part of a three point parish when St. Stephen's, Stratford was added. When Sebringville closed in 1997, Trinity and St. Stephen's continued as a two-point parish. In 2003 the new Parish of the Holy Spirit was created made up of Trinity Church, St. Paul's Anglican, Clinton (left) and St. Thomas Anglican, Seaforth (right). Trinity was in the Deanery of Huron.
|Link: Anglicans in 19th Century Mitchell, Ontario|